May 16: Viewing the City and Albertina

Today was a gorgeous day, both in terms of the weather and what we did. We started the day by getting chocolate croissants at the Anker in Karlsplats station and they were DELICIOUS. Just writing this entry is making me crave one. Food in this city is so good at every direction I turn. The entire group meet at the institute to go on a relatively short tour of the city. (I say short tour because a proper tour would take months to complete.) Our tour guide was Elizabeth, a sunny and fun woman who was very helpful in explaining what things were and the historical significance of things. She took us all over the historic part of the city: from the National Library to one of the oldest churches in Vienna. She also told us several historical facts about the country; the one that stands out the most to me is how the Austrian flag was designed. The white strip of the horizontally trifold flag was originally envisioned when a crusader took off his belt, revealing a white strip on an otherwise blood soaked cloak.

On this tour, what stood out to me most was the beautiful architecture and how it seems so common place in this town. One building we saw was beautifully ornate; however, Elizabeth walked by it without a second thought. It was occupied by some cheap clothing store, and I couldn’t help but to think if a building that beautiful existed in Arkansas. If it did, it would be considered a highlight of the state, and magnificent balls and events would be held in it. But here in Vienna, it’s used as a discount clothing store; I just can’t fathom that fact.

After the tour, we went to the Albertina. I don’t think I can ever put into words how beautiful this museum is decorated. It used to house the royal family of the Austro-Hungarian Emprire. Now it serves as a historical/art museum. The historical rooms and the artwork were truly marvels to behold. I think I enjoyed the historical parts more, just because I was so close to where amazing history took place.

Comments

  1. This IS a beautiful city...It makes me happy that you are enjoying it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing? I just fell in love with Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

May 28: Shöbrunn Palace

May 24: Sound of Music Tour

May 31: Spires, Spirals, & Crypts