May 17: United Nations and Train to Budapest

Today was yet another great day. We got to sleep in a little because we only had to meet at 10:00 AM. We also had an amazing breakfast when we met at Karlsplatz, a great breakfast of shkokocroissants and honest to god Starbucks coffee. They actually had Pike roast so my day started great. I like having to meet up at a meeting point, it makes the morning commute easier because we aren’t in a massive group. It also makes me feel more independent.

It only got better from there, after we all meet up we went to the Vienna International Centre, where the United Nation’s third headquarters is located. At the UN, we got to the actual circle of flags that surrounds the fountain in the entrance. Our tour guide took us through the International Atomic Energy Agency and let us watch part of a meeting on violence prevention. I was totally nerding our the entire time. We also got to see replicas of scientific accomplishments of the UN scientific agencies. Part of their collection was an actual rock from the moon, from the Apollo missions. Dr. Demers told me that they had internship positions there for post-graduates, and I’m going to look into that because that sounds like the perfect oportunity for someone like me. I also decided that I am going to change the language I’m studying at UCA from Spanish to French, because that would be more usful on the international scene. French is the second working language of the UN and international medical organizations desperately need French speaking professionals. This might mean I have to change my International Studies major to a Political Science major, but that wouldn’t be a big deal. It’s funny, because my last study abroad trip was what made me take up my International Studies major in the first place.

I hate to brag about myself, but I already know quite a bit about the United Nations. My high school national history project was about the United Nations Security Council. I won at my high school and at regions and got to go to state :). But the United Nations has several very important roles. But, in my opinion the most important aspect of the United Nations is the way it serves as an impartial place to debate and initiate policy.

After the United Nations we went to the central OBB train station to hop onto our train to Budapest. The train ride was very pleasant, because we actually got to rest and talk to eat other. We also got to sleep, so that was nice. As soon as we crossed into Hungary, I noticed a declining level of quality in the passing infrastructure. Things like less polished train stations and more rusty railway infrastructure. This makes sense because Hungary is a poorer nation than Austria.

When we arrived at Hungary, I immediately noticed a difference in the architecture. The buildings were more Slavic influenced, and there were more advertisements on buildings. I’ll be honest, I think we were staying in a slightly sketchy part of town. I didn’t mind this, because I grew up in Fort Smith and I’m a 6’ 4” tall white man. I also, perhaps foolishly, assume the best out of humanity. But I was happy to just eat some food, even though that turned into a hassle. After getting food, we all hung out in the boy’s room and talked. Going to bed after all of this was so delightful. 

Comments

  1. The difference between Vienna and Budapest is striking, isn't it? I don't think I was really prepared for the difference between the two cities. Budapest's history of being occupied and invaded for hundreds of years has really had a lasting impact (I know - obviously) they have really only had about 30 years on their own to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...great accomplishment with the United Nations stuff. I love how experiences change the trajectory of our lives! Good luck with EVERYTHING. I think Vienna and the UN would be a GREAT lace for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

May 28: Shöbrunn Palace

May 24: Sound of Music Tour

May 31: Spires, Spirals, & Crypts