May 21: Shades Tour

I am going to put my thought and experiences about the shades tour on my blackboard account. For reasons also explained there.

Today we went on the Shades tour, a tour of the city by a homeless woman named Susan. She was incredibly sweet and I learned a lot from her.

After the Shades tour, the group took the U lines to Neubegasse - a large boulevard lined with shopping outlets. I absolutely loved his day because I never get to go shopping back home with people who know what they’re doing. I’ll be honest: I’m not a fashionista :(
But regardless of that, I had a blast with everyone shopping at stores from Zara’s to a party/souvenir store named Heaven and Hell. I didn’t buy anything, but to our generation, just being around people and browsing can be a lot of fun. 

After we finished shopping, we started heading to Hunderwasserhaus, a colorful and “wavy” apartment building. I’ll have to include a picture because it’s the only way I am describe it. It was so funky and out of place, I loved that this city just has stuff like this lurking in random city blocks. On our walk home, we passed a small teddy-bear themed store and an exhibit in the window had the cutest display ever: it was a doctor beat and a bunch of nurses helping a bear on a bed. I’ll include a picture because it was so cute. 


We managed to find a U line after a lot of searching and walking and the Weidlingau group managed to get to Westbahnof to catch a train. Unfortunately, we just missed our train and had to wait for an hour for the next one. But we just meandered around the sprawling station and did some eating and shopping. Having to wait anywhere in this country is no big deal, because they’re is always something to see and something to do. I’m sure for those living here it’s no big deal, but us Conway kids are fascinated by the smallest things in this city. 

Comments

  1. I thought the contrast between how we treat the homeless in the US and how they are treated in Austria was shocking. Rather than being criminalized, they are treated as someone with a problem that needs to be solved. What a concept!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

May 28: Shöbrunn Palace

May 24: Sound of Music Tour

May 31: Spires, Spirals, & Crypts